Saturday, October 27, 2007

Very Long Night and Day

Bailey went into flutter last night at 9:00. Well, poo. They immediately stopped the drain line to her belly, and put her on a face mask of nitric oxide. She scared me. She was laying there just fine and she lifted her head with big round eyes and said, "What's going on?!" Right then the monitors started going off as her heart rate jumped up to 180. Of course our staff started paging Dr. T, Dr. Hubbard and Dr. Darragh. Dr. Hubbard (the on-call cardiologist - she's wonderful too) ended up spending the night here to keep an eye on her rhythm strips. I guess her heart was doing some kind of beats that she's never done before, and I can't even begin to remember the name. Her blood pressure was dropping and other numbers were out of whack. How scary. It meant another cardioversion (#21), but in the midst of ICU and all the machines and lines that are already hooked up to her and the fact that she's inside the first 24 hours of a procedure, things were pretty heavy for a while. Finally, at 4:00 am, Bailey asked that I call her dad. She was getting pretty scared. All the all-night attention was pretty intimidating, but they were pretty concerned. They cardioverted this morning about 9:00 and, thank God, it was quick and smooth.

We were hoping that was the end of the drama for the day, but Dr. T wanted to try to drain just a little bit more off so they started the drain back up moving very slowly this time, and they took her off the nitric oxide at the same time. That didn't work. The nurse just walked normally into the room, as she had been all day long, and took out this dopler box thing which is apparently a definitive blood pressure reading. (Her art line reading and her cuff reading were not matching, so they wanted a true BP.) She couldn't find the pulse, so she asked another nurse to help. She found it right away and we all laughed, but we didn't laugh very long. Her BP was 48, and Bailey suddenly felt like she was really, really weak and couldn't move. Well, let me tell you. It was a time for prayer and I certainly did that. She paged Dr. T and Dr. Hubbard and they both instructed her to stop the drain and put her back on nitric oxide. They were finished with the drain. And she started feeling much better immediately back on the nitric oxide. So that's where we're staying for the night. We're still in ICU of course.

So T came back just a little while ago to check on her, and he decided to take out the drain cathether in her belly. She was, of course, scared to do that, but he did it, was very gentle, and it didn't hurt Bailey too badly. But now, the fluid is still coming out of the hole and keeps saturating the dressings. Bailey's feeling fine but she's grossed out because the saturated dressing starts to allow drippings down her side. She doesn't like that. They are going to note the time it takes to fill a dressing and then call Dr. T.

Hopefully our night will be completely and utterly uneventful. I'm hoping we can all get some sleep tonight.

Talk to you tomorrow,
Angie

9 Comments:

Blogger Aunt Vickie said...

So much for hoping no news was good news. You have had a huge 24-48 hours. A quite 24+ now would be nice. I have thought about you both all day. We are so blessed to have a place like Riley Hospital so close to us....even though we still feel so far away. Think of all your "network" surrounding you and praying for you and the doctors all day every day. That's where we are.

Love you both sooo much, hang in there and hopefully get some rest tonight.
Aunt Vickie

8:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Every time I go to my favorites on my toolbar, I pray for an easy read on here. An easy read means that you are safe, sound and having a relatively gentle day compared to where you have been. However, it's these blogs of information that I can't possible understand or comprehend how to survive the situation, that make me sit back in my chair to pray unrelentingly to God that you and Bailey find peace. I know that He gets tired of me, but I will not go away. Claiming peace and healing for Bailey, you and all of your family and is the only thing I know to do that makes any sense.

Your sisters are so right, we are here, not going anywhere, sitting tight, praying hard, loving you and wishing we could be there with you to hold your hand, laugh a little or wipe away your tears.

Hoping your sleep well tonight...
Mary Ann

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey and Angie: I had so hoped to see you today, after ICU, but you have more important things to do. So I will have to settle for tomorrow, God willing. All my prayers. Love, Diane

7:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey & Angie-
I am praying and praying that
all of you can get some rest.
When reading the Blog this morning, I was so upset for you guys. Just know that we are here
and keep praying for you. We are all so blessed to have Riley in our backyard and all the doctors
and nurses.
We will say oodles of prayers!!!!
Much Love-
Dee, Mark & Kids

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't even know what to say, other than we love you so much and are praying each day for some relief for you. We all want to come visit so badly, but there is a bug going around our house (I have it now), so of course we don't want to come anywhere close right now. Thinking of you constantly, praying for your strength.....lots of love

Aunt Robin (and Uncle Jim, Erica, Emily and Lyndie)

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Vickie sums it up the best! I read this last night and wanted to write but, I thought better as I couldn't see the screen. I am thinking of you both constantly and praying. I called my Mom this morning and ask her to pray with us. Here is hoping that toady will be a Wonderful day for you both.... Love you! Lori

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey...You are in my prayers along with all your wonderful doctors and nurses.
Janet Shelton & boys

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angie & Bailey:

I've been talking to God a lot lately (I know him by his first name and he knows me by my first time). Sometimes I call him "Father", but mostly God. I've done a lot of talking to him a lot during my lifetime and he has given me the strength to do whatever I need to do. He will do the same for you. I would imagine he has us ALL on speaker phone so he can get some other work done.

Much love to both of you.

Carol

5:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey

It is simply amazing what you have endured. I love you and am praying for you. Hang in there. I pray less eventful days are coming soon.

Love,

Jennifer Riley

7:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home