Sunday, October 14, 2007

A Nice Weekend

We had a nice, fun and "uneventful" weekend. Marissa's birthday party Friday night was a lot of fun. Only 1 of her 3 friends could come, but they had a great time together. Bailey and I sat around with our friend Jenny and played with Marissa's birthday presents most of the night. It was a lot of fun! We baked some sun-catchers, and didn't even have any chemical burns while playing with the Magic Rocks. I thought it might eat a hole through our kitchen table, but we didn't spill a drop!

Then Saturday we took Jenny to our family's annual bonfire. (It was supposed to be last week, but a bonfire during 90 degree weather just doesn't feel right.) Bailey held up really well during all the weekend activity. We rested most of the day today. Drove to Shelbyville to see my sister Cindy's new house. Such fun!

And, best news, Bailey's down 1 1/2 pounds this weekend. Yeah! She gets tired really easily and still can't walk far (she still has an extra 20 pounds on), but her spirits are pretty good. As you may have noticed on Nightline, her belly is very big and people mistake her for being pregnant. Well, we went to he gas station today to get a cold drink, and there were 2 middle school to high school-age girls staring, pointing and laughing at Bailey. I didn't think Bailey noticed, but she broke down crying when we got back in the van. It is very, very sad to me that people can be so hurtful without a second thought. Of course, as Bailey's mother, I wanted to chase them down, grab them by the shoulders, and shake them, but we all know that wouldn't have done any good. I'm just glad that we can offer Bailey a safe haven here at home within our family. And we have wonderful neighbors and friends who offer all their support and prayers. We are so tremendously grateful for each and every one of you. We love you all so very much.

Have a wonderful week everyone! We're hoping to stay out of the hospital, but we'll be sure and keep you posted.

Angie

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a fun, yet uneventful, weekend. You guys endure so much. You are just amazing. I love you and am praying for you. Take care.

Love,
Jennifer

9:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for letting us know what's going on, even when things are quiet, medically-speaking. We are praying for Bailey's continued progress, and I am looking forward to getting to see Angie at work!
Love, Diane

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey-

I am so grateful your weekend was
nice, relaxing & fun!!! I have to
say Re: the middle schoolers-
now you know I would have chased them down & given them a nice lesson on "judgement", well enough
said about that. We love you guys and are so glad you are home..

Prayers & Peace-

Dee, Mark & kids

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey: Some people are so small and stupid, and will always be that way. The 'special' people just have to put up with ignorance. Unfortunately, it isn't just middle school, but some adults as well. When my daughter, Janie, was diagnosed with lupus and they put her on steroids her face became so full that she looked almost like a figure in the comics. Thoughtless people made comments about her too and laughed. You stand head & shoulders above them even if you are a little lady.

The important ones are the ones that love and care so much about you, and they are there a multitude of them!

Love, Hugs & Kisses

CAROL

7:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I am really glad that you guys had a fun and uneventful weekend! That is great!

I am sorry about the girls at the gas station. Bailey, some people can be really shallow. They like to judge instead of thinking about how the other person is feeling or doing. People rarely think of a medical problem, unfortunately. I faced very similar situations when I gained 70 lbs in 7 months (yes 70 in 7 months) from hypothyroidism. I have also faced a lot of negative people with my medical situation. I guess I just try to remind myself that they are shallow and don't understand. I feel bad that they have to make fun of other people to make themselves feel better. As hard as it is (and I know it is hard), try to remind yourself that there will always be people like that in the world, but you have a lot of support from people who know you and care a lot about you. As I have been reading your blog, I am always amazed by how many people love you and support you! That is something to be proud of! You are very lucky to have so many people who care so much about you (but I am sure you know that).

I posted a little about myself in a previous post (maybe before nightline) so if you are wondering who I am, you can read the comments or ask me. I don't want to take up more of your page by reposting it.

Take care of yourself!

Angie

11:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey:

It's Wednesday (10/17/07) and no update - wonderful !!!

Sending you plenty of positive thoughts and love,

CAROL

10:22 PM  
Blogger ems882 said...

Hi Bailey and Angie,

I replied on this post as Angie (don't know why it didn't use this name). I cannot see where I posted before. I felt really bad telling Bailey and Angie they could ask me something or talk to me and then I couldn't find the other post. My email is ems882@sbcglobal.net.

A little history: (I just turned 28 if you are wondering). I have many medical problems (heart among others). I have been in the hospital more than 30 times (usually 3 months at a time). I spent a lot of time in the peds ICU and then the step-down unit when I was a teenager. I was usually in Chicago's Children Hospital or Rush. I wish I had doctors like you do. (Dr. T did surgery on my fiance. He is such a wonderful doctor!) I guess my point to this is that I can understand the struggles of spending literally months at a time in the hospital, missing out on school, doing the "normal" childhood/teenage things. And the struggle of the family with a child in the hospital.

As I have read the archives, I am VERY impressed by all of the love and support that you both have! That is a blessing. Please don't hesitate to email me.

Bailey, you are truly an inspiration to everyone! You are such a strong and special girl!Take care! You and your entire family are always in my prayers.

Angie

1:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that this weekend was uneventful - in your situation the more normal, the better!

I'm so sorry about the gas station, I think we always have to try to be compassionate as possible, because we can never know what people are really going through. In the end, you guys know the truth, and that's really all that matters.

Take care, Anna

6:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey & Angie -

Hey Guys!! I hope you are all having a great Fall Break. We love you guys- Maybe we will see you this weekend outside with a fire,
that sounds fun.... Talk to you soon.
Much Love-

Dee

Jeremiah 29:11

7:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home