Thursday, October 25, 2007

A Not-Quite-As-Bad Day

Well, we didn't get the procedure in today because Bailey's blood was too thin (INR 10 - normal for her is 2 to 3) . . . actually WAYYYYYY too thin. At first they thought the blood test was wrong, but they did another one and it was 9.6. So, they spent the day (and still spending the night) trying to get her blood to thicken up. They gave her 2 units of FFP (fresh frozen plasma) and then some Vitamin K. They are testing her blood right now and we should hear within the hour the new number. They might have to give her 1 or 2 more units of FFP. The first unit of FFP went fine. The second unit was almost all the way in (they run it through an IV pump) and she felt a tickle in her throat. Hm. Didn't think much of it. Then, she started scratching and her ears and eyelids were itching. Then, in the next 2 minutes, she said, "Mom! My lips and throat are swelling up!" Oh my. That was quite scary. I have to get across to anyone who might be reading this entry, that Bailey is an incredible young lady. She was so scared and thought her throat was going to close up so she wouldn't be able to breathe, but we talked through those few minutes together and she stayed completely calm even though the tears were streaming down her cheeks. She was able to tell us that her lips were getting bigger and it was getting hard to swallow but she could still breathe. Her lips kept getting bigger but, fortunately, a million thanks be to God, her throat didn't swell anymore. She got bumps (hives, I guess?) on her eyelids and inside her mouth and throat and a rash on her chest and back and ears. Our wonderful nurse Amanda (whose birthday is today - Happy Birthday Amanda!) ran out to page everyone she could think of and ran back in to give her Benedryl in her IV. It's amazing how quickly that stuff made a difference. The itching and rash were gone in about 2 minutes. It took a little while longer (30 to 60 minutes) for the hives to go away and her throat to feel better, but at least it didn't get any worse. They say it was just a reaction to the FFP, which is fairly common. We were just grateful that she didn't have any of the other reactions we were warned about like fever, back pain, and other not-so-fun things.

Just before the plasma issue, in order to run the plasma, they had to give Bailey a second IV. They tried 3 times before they finally got it. Oh, it's awful to hold your child while they're crying and saying, "Mom, it hurts! It hurts!" But I would rather be no where else in the world than right there with her.

So, we just found out about an hour ago that her first I.V. started leaking and went bad. So, if she has to get more FFP (depending on the results of the blood test we're waiting on), she'll have to get another I.V. tonight. I just hope and pray that her blood gets thick enough to do the procedure tomorrow and Dr. T can put in a central line. That way, she won't have to get stuck anymore. You should see her arms. They have bruises and I.V. sticks all over her forearms and hands. She's really packing on the pounds in additional fluid too (weighed in at 110 this a.m. - her base weight is 85 - or at least I think it still is - she hasn't seen that since last December). They've had to give her fluid because of all the vomiting she did yesterday and, today, the FFP gave her additional volume. She's peeing ok, but it is not as much as they'd like, even with the diuretic. They say that should be better after they get some fluid drained.

She woke up this morning really scared about the procedure but, after all of today's challenges, I think she's ready for it now. Still nervous, of course, but ready.

Thank you all for taking the time to write back to us. You are giving us so much encouragement, strength, and love, that we can't even begin to return it. But we're glad to take it right now. It's very comforting. Thank you.

Love you all,
Angie

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey -

Well, I just don't know what to say..... I am overcome with awe
with both of you. You are incredible women! We are so prayerful for all of you and Bailey
hang in there "Kiddo",as Mark would say. We send our love and prayers!!!

Peace -

Dee

10:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie. I'm so glad everything calmed down this afternoon. I got in my car after our visit and prayed until tears came. I knew that everyone was taking good care of you and I was so hoping that they knew what was going on. It was really nice to laugh a little with you both. I'll not forget the italian sausage antenna story! Nor the powder comment! You are the best and I love you my friend!

Mary Ann

10:50 PM  
Blogger ems882 said...

Bailey and Angie,

I am sorry that things are so hard right now.

Angie, I am so amazed by your strength. I can't imagine having to watch your child as she goes through painful procedures. Bailey is blessed to have such a wonderful family. (Let me specify that I am saying Bailey is blessed because you (or someone else) is always with Bailey. As you have probably seen, not all kids have a parent (esp their Mom) with them all the time. I was one of those kids. I am not trying to make this about me. I am trying to emphasize that you are providing Bailey with more comfort than you will ever realize.) You are such a strong person. You said "there is no place I would rather be", which brought tears to my eyes. Such a wonderful Mom!

Bailey, I know this is by no means fun. You are such an inspiration to people all over the world! You have been through more things at your age than most people will go through in a life time. Yet, you have a great attitude and continue to fight! You are an amazing young lady.

You all are in my thoughts and prayers. If you would like, I can add Bailey to the prayer list and our church, my parents church, and my sister's church. Every prayer helps. Take care!

Sincerely,

Angie W.

12:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey and Angie: As always, as I read the blog, often with tears in my eyes, I am amazed at your strength. You have both been tested and tested, yet you maintain your strength, your faith, and even your sense of humor! I am amazed, and proud to call you both my friends. Good luck on another tough day today. You show us that our problems are only aggravations, and you remind us of what really matters in life. Thank you both. Love,Diane

6:57 AM  
Blogger carmelapples said...

Good Morning Glories,

You know the Scripture that says God's mercy is new every morning?...THANK YOU, GOD!!! I pray that you guys experience newness of mercy and strength with every new morning.

I can't start work or even eat before I read the blog. Thank you for keeping us updated daily. It helps us to feel close to you even when we can't be. If it weren't for the blog (and Vickie) it would be really challenging to even know what to pray.
Thank you for the details.

You know that cell phone commercial where people have "the network"...well you guys have that. You have people that are praying daily, asking about you daily, and consistently caring that you've never even met. What an overwhelming blessing it would be if you guys could just see everyone at one time who has ever prayed for Bailey or given donations to Riley in her name, or walked an event, or seen the documentary... Know that your "network" is behind you..."Can you hear us NOW?"

Love you, Aunt Deb

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie & Bailey. My husband, Brian, finally watched the Nightline footage, which we DVR'd. It brought tears to his eyes. I'm always coming home and telling him about Bailey. He remembers meeting her at the bonfire at Vickie's house and was just amazed that that was her. He especially loved it when she got to meet Patrick Dempsey. Anyway, Miss Bailey is an extraordinary person, as you are too! We wish nothing but the best for both of you. We will hold you closely in our hearts and our prayers.

Love,

Linda Jones & Brian too!

10:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey:

Really, you two give us so much more encouragement!! It always amazes me how well you deal with all the issues, big and little, and manage to put a smile on my face, and a tear or two, too, as you share this journey with us all. Hopefully today will be much better than yesterday (no swelling, hives, itches, or any other yucky stuff). Have a good weekend!

Love ya,

Lara

11:35 AM  
Blogger Aunt Vickie said...

Debbie said it perfectly. I can't tell you how many times I've wondered how many people there are out there who have prayed, read the blog and suffered and experienced joy right along with you. That's a great way to look at this....we are a network. Woo hoo!! I love it.

We pray numerous times a day and here are R & L we miss you, Ang, and think about you both constantly. We hang on every word you post and every phone call we get. Isn't it funny how you two are the ones going through the trials and you give US encouragement. It's a testimony to your strength.

I love you both tremendously and miss you. Imagine yourselves getting huge bear hugs from me since I can't be there.

Love
Aunt Vickie

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Angie & Bailey:

Thinking of both of YOU as usual. Hugs, kisses, prayers, etc.

Love, Carol

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie and Bailey:
Here is to you both and hoping that today was less painful! Vickie, does a GREAT job keeping us updated at R&L and at times, I am sure we drive her itchy!! HA! (shhhhhhhhh: she has that poison ivy stuff.... poor Vickie, as she wants to come and see you both so badly)! The smiles and tears that you share with us through this "Network" is without a doubt what invigorates my days! I love you both and you are both in my prayers! I hope that you both had a good day that was pain free. Have a great weekend, and I hope that Josie and Rissy can come and be with you both! Lori Angie and Bailey:
Here is to you both and hoping that today was less painful! Vickie, does a GREAT job keeping us updated at R&L and at times, I am sure we drive her itchy!! HA! (shhhhhhhhh: she has that poison ivy stuff.... poor Vickie, as she wants to come and see you both so badly)! The smiles and tears that you share with us through this "Network" is without a doubt what invigorates my days! I love you both and you are both in my prayers! I hope that you both had a good day that was pain free. Have a great weekend, and I hope that Josie and Rissy can come and be with you both! Lori

5:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home