Friday, July 15, 2005

Cleaned Out the Room

Bailey and I worked hard tonight cleaning out the room. We even listened to a little Keith Urban while we worked. Bailey climbed up on chairs to take things down off the wall. Then she decided she wanted to share her paper cranes with patients here on the Heart Center, so we walked around delivering them. Everyone was very grateful and excited as I explained to them the meaning behind the paper cranes. Except for one mom that was standing out in the hall. Bailey wanted me to give this lady, who we've seen carrying a little baby around, one of the strings. I told her I would just put it in her baby's room since I didn't think she spoke English. Bailey said, "Yes, she does! She speaks English!" So, I went up to her, held out one of the strings, and as I was explaining the Japanese legend, this look came over her that made her face just look kind of sad and scared. She was a different nationality - not sure which, maybe middle eastern - so then I kind of started lowering my head and mumbling (much like Dr. T does at times - haha!!). I was thinking to myself, "Great! She probably has some belief that paper cranes are evil or something." Just as I was starting to really develop that paranoid piece of debacle in my head, she finally interruped me and said in a very heavy accept, shaking her head back and forth, "I'm sorry, I don't understand English. I'm sorry." Her nurse, standing next to her, looked at her with a big smile and said, "It's OK. It's a present . . . a gift!" The lady then smiles and grabs my hand to shake it vigorously and says, "A present! Thank you, oh, thank you! A present!" And follows me into her baby's room where I hang it up for them, and she's still grabbing my hand telling me thank you. It was pretty humorous. I just walk up to Bailey and, with a smile, said, "She speaks English, huh?"

Cleaning out the room gave Bailey an energy which I never expected. I'm wondering if it's just showing her that she really is getting closer to going home - that it is really for real. But she's been in a great mood since and eating lots of food. I think she's even going to let me go home in the morning. Last weekend, she was asking if I'd stay this weekend at the hospital since it was right before her surgery and she would be scared and want me there. But now, she doesn't seem to be feeling nearly as clingy. I think I get to go home and hug on my other girls.

Boy, it was nice to have rain today. We even heard a little thunder. So cozy! We continued with our 5000 rummy game - made progress but still haven't finished. And we watched a movie - Bennie and June. Really liked it! And, we've read a lot today. Such a nice day to read, when it's raining all day.

Have a great weekend, everyone, and I'll catch you Sunday evening.

Love to all,
Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home