Friday, May 20, 2005

A Big Day of Homework

Today was mostly taken up by a science report on rocks. We went down to the library, and Bailey did some research and gathered information for her report. We then tried to get a cheeseburger at her favorite grill in the cafeteria, but they were already closing down at 10 minutes before 2:00. Bummer!! We were truly disappointed. So, we fell back on the old McDonalds. Marissa didn't seem to mind.

I tried to take a nap this afternoon because I was up 'til 2:00 this morning. Bailey fell asleep at 9:00 last night but woke up at 10:30 for her dressing change and was up for the night. I think she fell asleep shortly after I did. But she got a lot of homework done. She's now seeing how close she is to getting it all done for the year, so she's really putting a lot of effort into it. I think she sees the light at the end of the tunnel . . . for school, that is. It's hard telling still how long we'll be here at the hospital. The transplant coordinator told us today that Dr. T is considering going back to crossmatching again. To be quite honest, I'm not sure how that affects getting a heart. When they did away with the crossmatching about a month ago, they thought that would speed things up a bit, but it doesn't appear to have done that. Once again, I firmly believe that she'll get a heart when it's time - whether a crossmatch has anything to do with it or not. It's all in God's plan.

Circumstances called for Marissa to go home tonight (she has softball pictures early in the morning), and Josie came and is spending the night. Marissa wasn't too happy about that. She didn't understand why Josie got to stay but she had to go. I even pointed out that she's been able to spend several nights here without Josie because Josie had to go to school, but she didn't much care to hear that explanation. She was trying really, really hard not to cry.

I tried to get a picture of our pigeon-friend who lives across the way from our window in a cubby near the Lifeline helipad. We've been staring at each other for over 3 months now. I think he's getting used to us because he'll fly over to our rooftop and just look at us. He has the deepest red eyes. (Actually, I guess he might be a she because there's probably a nest somewhere over there. But I still like calling her a him.) I don't think my picture came out, though. I think it blurred.

See! When Dr. T leaves town, I start talking to the birds. Come back, Dr. T, come back!!

Dr. Hart (who is watching us while Dr. T is out of town) tried to fix Bailey's PIC line stitch tonight that broke loose last week. She was so upset, though, that he didn't want to pursue it any further. They only got the numbing cream on the site and she was done with it. She asked if I was mad at her for not getting it done. I said absolutely not. People have their own fears. Her fear is needles. She's had a million shots since we've been here but hasn't had a great experience with arterial lines, central lines, IV's or PIC lines. She's perfectly entitled to have something that she's afraid of. (My fear is spiders. I scream at the smallest, harriest little beings.) So, he's coming back in the morning with some valium. Hopefully he'll bring some for me, too.

Dr. T would be proud of us! It stormed yesterday and we didn't even take the Berlin Heart out in the lightning. Aren't we good? (He's not even here and we're still harassing him.)

I'm going home in the morning. I'll try to post some more pictures this weekend. But I'm also going to try and get some spring flowers planted. Physical labor might be good for me to keep my mind from wandering - I tend to do that when I'm away from the hospital.

Please keep praying for the donor's family. When the time comes, it will truly be monumental moments for both families.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Hugs to you all,

Angie

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey,

You do not know me, but my step-daughter Emily Redmon, goes to FTMS and has told me about you. I just want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you. You are in the best hands that you can be right now. I know how wonderful Riley is, my son is also a Riley patient. He has brain cancer and there is no place better for you to get the treatment, care and support you need and deserve. Take care and know that you both are an inspiration to everyone out there!
keep up the good work!

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home