Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Bailey's Doing Well

Hi guys! I felt lost from you since it's been 2 days since I've posted. But I guess I can't post forever. I'll try to gradually ween myself from sharing our lives with you all.

Bailey is doing well. She wanted to go shopping yesterday, believe it or not! I wouldn't do it - I told her we needed to rest for a few days. She's quite tired and still very sore, but she's enjoying being home. She was just walking around the house looking at all the nick-nacks reminiscing. Dressing changes are going well. She told me I did a good job! I definitely had good teachers. I watched about 350 dressing changes in the last 6 months. I think I could do it blindfolded, in fact. The PICC line, however, is another story. Bailey and I sat down yesterday morning (Tues.) - our first full day home - to talk ourselves through flushing it, and, would you believe, it was clotted. We called our homecare nurse out and she spent about 4 to 5 hours here trying to bust up the clot (using TPA), but she had no luck. We were on the phone with Riley, and they gave us instructions to leave the TPA medicine in overnight and if we still couldn't get it clear this morning, we had to go into Riley to have it taken out . . . and that's exactly what happened. The homecare nurse came back this morning and had no luck. So, we got to see some of our medical team again today. That makes it a little easier on separation anxiety - knowing they're only a phone call and 15 minutes away. Then, we got back in time to go to a movie this afternoon - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. It was entertaining. Johnny Depp made it very interesting. I enjoy his crazy characters he plays. Bailey fell asleep about15 minutes into the movie and we had to wake her up when it was over. I guess we'll have to rent it now when it comes out on video. Haha!

I still have anxious moments at times here at home. I'm sure it's separation anxiety, but I get little panicky moments when I think this is all too good to be true. I was nervous going into the hospital today because I thought they might keep us, I guess. I suppose that's to be expected, having spent such a long time away from home.

Tom's working like crazy on Bailey's room. I helped out a little bit today but not much, since we had to squeeze a hospital visit and a movie into our day. He ran into a couple setbacks and hopes to have it done by the weekend. We don't have anything planned tomorrow, so I'm hoping to help out a lot then. I brought a hand-held Tetris game home from the hospital (Child Life gave it to us way back in January on pre-op day), and I had to hide it from Tom because he spent about 4 hours playing it yesterday. He was laughing at himself today. He asked me what I did with the game and I told him I hid it. He said he came downstairs looking for it while we were at the movie and he couldn't find it, so he gave up and went back to work on Bailey's room. I told him that's exactly what my plan was!! Haha!

Have a good night, everyone, and I'll talk to you soon.

Angie

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, VICKIE!!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi guys - I am glad you are still posting because we all are going to need weened too! It's so nice to hear about your normal days at home. I heard that movie was really good. I want to go see it too. Another really good movie is Monster in Law. It's at the dollar movie in Greenwood. It's hilarious!!!
Talk to you later. Love you guys -
Aunt Robin

11:32 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

HI ANGIE!!!! I'm so glad you're home. I logged onto the website now, wondering "will she be there?" Boy, was I surprised that you did write to us!!!!

When Matthew was sick he came home from the hospital with a Pic line - he had TPN for a few months. Do you know he took care of it all by himself - with the help of a home nurse? I never had to help him with it at all. We became real friendly with the nurses - they'd come in and go right upstairs to help him. They all were such nice ladies. Looking back it seems like it was a million years ago. Hopefully this will be like that with you too. You'll remember the experience but it'll seem like another lifetime. As Bailey gets more involved with her life, she'll move further away from the hospital experience. And hopefully she won't have to repeat it.

Do you know when you're going back to work? They must miss you like crazy there - I'm sure you'll get a great homecoming!

Well, we're going to have to wean ourselves off of this blog, just like you will. It's become such a habit to log onto "Bailey's Blog" every night to see how she is doing. But in the long run it's good that you won't be writing as much any more. That'll mean that things will be back to normal for all of you!

Glad that things are going so well! I hope you don't mind if we still pray for you!

Love,
Annette :)

11:33 PM  
Anonymous Kara said...

YEAH! I was so happy to see there was an update and I am glad to hear things are going well. Are you up for the Visa USA Gymnastics Championships in a few weeks?

We are still praying for your continued recovery!

Love,
Kara, Jami, & Kaitlin

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Angie and Bailey! So glad things continue to improve. I'm sure that it's really hard for Bailey not to want to do ALL the things that she was used to doing, like shopping, now that she is home again. Just don't rush it, Sweetie, you'll get there! I miss the blog news every day, it was terrible coming in to work yesterday and not having any "Bailey news". I kept checking all day, but never got my "Bailey Fix". It will help when you come back to work, Angie, because then we can get a quick update in person. So happy that everything is going well. Hear from you soon. Myra

10:13 AM  
Blogger Aunt Cindy said...

Ditto on the "blog withdrawals!" Isn't it amazing how many of us are Bailey addicts?! The blog-weaning process may take awhile, indeed.
We certainly do not want to ever wean ourselves from giving shouts of thanks and praise to God for what He has done and continues to do! Often we get too busy with 'stuff' and neglect to see what He is doing all around us. God has truly used Bailey to show His power and love to so many. And this miracle we've seen in Bailey, while so huge, is so small compared to offering us forgiveness and eternal life through Jesus Christ! Amazing.

Bailey, we are so anxious to come see you but are using restraint to give you time to rest up. I don't know how long we can hold out though! Be sure to give Nancy a birthday hug for us on Sunday, but not too tight because she is very close to the big 40...oops, did that slip out?! I can see her face now when she reads this...hee hee hee :)

Love you all!

Aunt Cindy, Uncle Tim, Adam, and Craig

11:38 AM  
Blogger The Norris Family said...

Angie,

Thanks for posting! I read your web page first thing every morning and have felt lost the last two days. Tom holler Greg's way if you need help this weekend!

Julie

1:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I can't believe it has been a week since Bailey came home. This is my first time posting here but I read her story every day. I miss it now. I hope everything is still going well.

1:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi everyone!!
Just wanted to say hi and that I have been trying to get ahold of you to check on how miss bailey is doing. For some reason a message keeps coming up and its some weird operator guy....definitely not any of you. So I must have the wrong number or something. What a dork. But anyways....I am thinking about you and hoping all is well. I am sure it is. :)
Love, Jenny Hendricks

5:54 AM  
Blogger Aunt Vickie said...

Hey, for all of you bloggers out there who check daily (like me), I know you're suffering from blog withdrawals. I've spoken with Bailey or Angie every couple of days and I want you to know as far as I know that things are going well. I know its not the same as hearing it from Angie because I can't give you all the details, but it looks like things are continuing to progress. Angie and Bailey's computer is very slow and it is a big ordeal to post on the blog, but we're hoping that will change shortly and we can get a nice big update.

Thank you so much for all your prayers and your continued prayers are greatly appreciated. God is an awesome God as we are reminded every time we look at or think of Bailey.

Love to all, Aunt Vickie

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Laura Lynn said...

Yeah I have been checking everyday to see how Bailey is doing. I am so having withdraws. Well I'm glad she is doing good. Just someone keep us all posted.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home