Wednesday, July 20, 2005

PA Pressures in the 30's!!

I spent all night last night opening one eye and peeking up at that yellow number on the monitor. After yesterday, I was so happy to see the 50's again early yesterday evening. (We were in the 50's yesterday and suddenly over a half-hour period they just decided to go up, and up, and up and ended up over 100. During the 15 minutes or so that they hovered over 100 and that the team was out in the hall discussing what to do about it, I found it adequate time to bring back visions of before the Berlin Heart when we were talking about a heart and lung transplant and, of course, one vision led to another, so I closed my eyes and tried to enter denial by sleeping. Yeah right. Then, after that 15 minutes, they just started coming back down and after about a half hour, ended up right back in the 50's.) So, after that episode yesterday, I was happy to see the 50's. Then, I just kept an eye on them through the night and they reached the 40's before midnight. Then, I saw the 30's!!! and they stayed there consistently the rest of the night. (I even saw 29 a couple of times.) I wanted so badly to call Scott in the middle of the night but knew he would probably have a stroke just at hearing the phone ring that late at night. And, then, if he recovered from the stroke, he would be so excited that he wouldn't be able to go back to sleep. Also, I just wanted to lay there and watch them and see that they didn't go back up. Dr. Gudjonssen, one of the surgery doctors who has been with us night and day through these past 5 1/2 months - a really great guy - came in this morning at 6:00 to check on us like he does every day. Normally he whispers so he won't wake us up, but this time, I hear the door slide open, a 2-second delay, and he nearly yells, "PA's at 32!" I'm sure he didn't yell, but at 6:00 in the morning, it seemed like it. He grabbed the stethoscope and listened to her and said, "Lungs are clear, bowel sounds are normal, chest tubes look good," and he turned to the nurse and said, "Well done, well done." "Well done" around here actually means "what a remarkable young lady to go through all she's been through and come out better than on top and, the best part of it all, is that we get to see it with our own eyes". That's what "well done" actually means.

It's just incredible that her heart is functioning so well. It must really like having the two "garden hoses" removed from it so it can work on its own. Unbelievable!! I just sit in awe of God.

They're talking about moving to the Heart Center tomorrow (Thurs.). That's fine that they keep moving it back a day. Bailey's just feeling pretty bad. She's been vomiting and isn't even allowed to have ice chips because they're trying to dry her out really good for PA pressure reasons. But hopefully today will see her feeling better. She slept really good last night and hasn't vomited since early, early morning.

I just sat out in the courtyard for a brunch break and shared my food with two "Cubs" (squirrels). I thought there was only one "Cub", but there are two! And, boy, do they like french fries. One even took one right out of my hand. They are so sweet and gentle creatures. I just sat and stared at them thinking how incredible God is and how much fun he must have creating these creatures and seeing how much fun we have with them. He created every little hair on his big, bushy, beautiful tail. And he took a paintbrush and made perfect little black streaks on each and every one. Just beautiful.

I've had my break and it's time to go "tag" Nancy. Well, I do have to tell one more thing. Scott called this morning at 8:00 for an update on Bailey's night. When I told him that her PA pressures were in the 30's, he, of course, was extremely elated and said he thought he was going to cry. After they got to the hospital, Nancy confirmed he did. She found him laying on the floor crying. She, of course, was scared that something happened and was equally elated to find out the incredibly good news. I wish you all could feel this incredibly happy feeling we have right now. I know it's a crazy roller coaster, but we're enjoying the top of the hill right now!

Love to all, and thank God for another day!

Angie

6 Comments:

Blogger Shelmedia said...

Hi,
I don't know if you all remember me, but I was Bailey's 4th grade teacher. I guess one of Bailey's night nurses works at Bradford Woods where my friend Jay Price works. He let me know about Bailey's site. I am glad things are going so well with her numbers down! I will be checking your site constantly for the updates. If anyone has the positive personality to get through this it is Bailey. I also remember her student led conference being so loved filled with ALL her family. You all are in my thoughts and prayers. If Bailey is still in the hospital when I get back to Indy I will try and stop by. (Although I am hoping she won't be!!!) :)

1:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, again i sit her crying the tears of joy, and laughing at your sense of humor (that calling Scott in the middle of the night comment was hilarious). You should be a writer, you are exceptionally good at painting a clear picture of your day. I am just at the edge of my seat waiting for your updates.
Lynn, Josh and Dane

1:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey I am so happy for you! You are an amazing young lady with a tremendous faith. Although we did not get to discuss that too much in science class, your strength, faith and humor has seen you through to the wonderful conclusion of this ride. I can't wait to see you back at school this fall - too bad it won't be in my class :)

Mrs. Borland

6:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woohoo Bailey!!!! Cant wait to see you guys back on the Heart Center....I miss you already! :) I stopped by to see you last night...but you were both asleep...so I didnt want to wake you. I hope you start feeling better soon Miss Bailey. I will see you guys soon!!! I love you all!

Jenny Hendricks

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are one amazing girl, Bailey!!
I am so glad to hear your pressures are staying down so well. That's terrific! Angie - Probably a good thing you didn't call Scott when you first wanted to, Bailey might have a roommate!! I have shared the good news with so many people and they are all so happy for you all. Thank-you God, Thank-you God, Thank-you God!

11:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

AWSOME!!!
I know this isn't an original post, but, good for you...ALL.
Each of you has had a special part in this journey and learned so much that most of us don't have the opportunity to discover. I'm so very glad all is well with Bailey and I so happy that your family will be returning to a more familiar routine soon! Good for you!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home