Thursday, July 21, 2005


Pressures were still in the 30's and 40's when they removed the PA-line today (the line that attached directly to her heart to take pressure readings) (But, since the PA-line is gone, we don't have a yellow number to stare at anymore.) Dr. T removed the PA line, the RA line, the chest tubes and the canula site packing (which is a very interesting story in itself) early this afternoon. Bailey wasn't too happy about that idea - she was very, very scared. The PA and RA lines are little thin plastic-covered wires but the chest tubes are quite a bit thicker. Even though they say it doesn't hurt to take them out (just feels strange), she got so upset that they decided to drug her to get it done. So, they did just that. I was standing next to Bailey's bed holding her hand and, when she was finally out of it, Dr. T started removing lines. It's kind of gross to see these thin wires being pulled out of her body that are quite long because they go into her heart, but he pulled them out very easy and successfully. Then, he took tweezers to grab what I thought was just a piece of gauze sitting on her canula sites, and he lifted them off and kept lifting and lifting and finally pulled out a long 8 or 10-inch piece of about 1/2" wide gauze stuff. I guess I had quite the look on my face because he was holding it high above Bailey's belly, paused to look at me, and just laughed. I think they thought I might pass out. I knew I wouldn't pass out, but my stomach did turn over a bit. I think they got a little kick out of that. I told Dr. T he could have warned me that those were not just patches. He just laughed at me. Then he moved to the chest tubes and I decided to look away for those too. I had seen those pulled out after previous surgeries, but since my stomach already suffered a little shock, I decided to look away for those as well. Bailey was very happy when she came around again to find out that everything was out.

We were packing up our things getting ready to move to the Heart Center and then she developed A-flutter or fib. We're told that removing those lines from the heart and trigger it in people predisposed to that anyway. So, her heart is beating irregularly right now. They started a medication that they're hopeful will straighten it out but, if it doesn't, they will have to cardiovert her. I guess, in the scheme of things, it's no big deal, but it's enough to keep her in ICU at least another night. The Thunderbird pilots are coming to visit Riley tomorrow morning and Dr. T's hoping to have her up on the Heart Center by the time they get here so she can visit with them. They're in Terre Haute for an air show this weekend and wanted to come visit the kids here at Riley. Dr. T knows them and is very excited about their visit. I hope we get to see them.

Scott and I were thinking back to January and February, and she had to be cardioverted after they put her on the Berlin Heart because of A-fib. One thing we can say for certain is that Bailey never provides them or us with a dull moment around here.

We're getting lots of visits from her nurses on the Heart Center. They are just as anxious as we are to get back up there. The candy bowl is empty. I'm surprised they haven't brought it down and set it outside our door in ICU! They tell me not to fill it up again because they all have to start their diets, but we get to fill it up at least a few more times before we leave.

Bailey's feeling much better today and awake a little more. She's taking a few bites of soup and keeping everything down. Who knows? She might be taking her first walk pretty soon. THAT will be exciting.

Catch you all later.


Blogger Annette said...

Angie - thanks for keeping us informed about how Bailey is doing. As I keep saying, she is quite amazing! You know everyone is going to miss you all so much! I'm sure you've made friends for life.

I was driving to Dulles Airport in Washington yesterday in a shuttle van and met a young man who's interviewing for Pediatric fellowships in different hospitals. He said he never heard of Riley! I couldn't believe it. I told him to look it up on the Internet and see what a fabulous place it is. I told him about Bailey and how wonderful everyone is to you there. I hope he does check it out.

Well, I hope you have a good evening - maybe with "no" excitement! I'm praying that Bailey heals well and gets back to the Heart Center soon.

Love to all,

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Lindsay said...

Aww im soo happy about how everything with bailey! its very exciting!!! Well i will check this again tomorrow! Have a good day! I love you all,

6:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Friday Angie and Bailey,
I had hopes of stopping by today, but it looks like it will be next week. Aunt Vickie is doing a good job keeping me up to date. Bailey, we have to get you going, we've got some outfit shopping to do for a big concert coming up.
Lots of love, (headed out of town with my family this weekend)I'll see you next week.

4:56 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann Lucas said...

Hi my girls! You keep up the good work Bailey and they'll spring you out of there in no time. I am sure of it! I'm headed out of town today, but hope to get to see you this weekend. Praying you'll be better every day!

Angie...your posts here are quite something. I hope you are doing ok and that you are getting some rest. If I could, I'd wave my magic wand and take all of this away, but what then would we learn about faith, hope and love. Thank you for setting an amazing example!

love to you...Mary Ann

5:38 AM  
Blogger Bill said...

Pretty amazing story you have going. Checking the latest update has become part of my morning routine. Very happy to hear that everything has taken a great turn for the better.

By the way, should you need any candy, I would be happy to drop off a pound or ten.

11:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home