Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Such a Good Day

She's peeing! They tried yet another kind of diuretic (bumetanide, or something like that) this morning at 9:30 and it worked! She's had total output today of over 3000 ml (3 litres). To compare, yesterday she had 450 ml. I've been so worried about her kidneys these past several days since she wasn't responding to all the diuretics which had worked before, so I was telling myself that was a good sign this morning that she was finally responding. But I was still guarded. That's one thing about this place . . . you grasp on to all the victories (both big and small) because you never know what's around the corner. But the doctors were still concerned too because they ordered a renal consult. So the kidney doctors came to visit and recommended two tests - an ultrasound and some kind of dye test.

We all also decided to get a pic line put in because her 3rd I.V. wasn't going to hang on much longer. So, this afternoon we went to get a pic line, which was pretty traumatic for Bailey. She was quite scared because she remembered that they stitched those in. So, we got through that and went on to ultrasound. Then we got back upstairs to our room after being gone about 1 1/2 hours, and Dr. D was standing by our door. Bailey, not yet hooked up to monitors, told him to go out in the hallway (where the monitors are) and see if she was still in rhythm. We all just kind of looked curiously at each other and I was the only one brave enough to ask, "So, do you think you're not?" She said she wasn't sure but felt PVC's or something. So she got hooked up and they ordered an EKG, and YEAH!!!! she was still in rhythm. Dr. D said he thought he was going to have to go downstairs and smack the interventional radiology guy for throwing her in flutter (which I guess is a legitimate risk when getting pic lines). Ha! Glad he didn't have to do that. So THAT was a huge relief. And, then, about 1/2 hour later, he came back and informed us that the ultrasound looked good. YEAH!!!!! Yet again, such a HUGE relief. She still gets the dye test in the morning at 8:00 (I'll have to wake up early!), but Dr. D didn't seem too worried about that test. He said the results of it wouldn't change their plan of action.

I tell ya, I felt like running down the hallways shouting "She's peeing! She's peeing!" About 10 or so medical people were standing outside Bailey's room during their rounds this morning (they were gathered there to discuss Bailey) and through the window they saw her go into the bathroom for a while and then come back out. Dr. Bramlett peaked around the corner and said, "Did you go?!" We all laughed and he said, "How does it feel to have a whole group of people wanting to know if you peed." Ha! I told him we were just going to announce it on the PA system. I think everyone in the hospital now knows that Bailey's responding to the diuretic. We're so proud!

(Sorry, I hope I'm not offending anyone by using the "p" word. We're just so excited.)

So she had an echo yesterday that was better than the one before; she's been losing fluid; her kidneys are functioning . . . I'm not sure if we could have had a better day today. It must be a direct result of all the prayers out there because I know there are lots of them. Thank you all so much for being there with us. You are all so special and we are so grateful for each and every one of you. We are enjoying the comments - they give us a daily boost. Thank you!

We're hoping for another good day tomorrow. Not sure how long we'll be here still - we're thinking at least a few more days, give or take a few days. (How's that for accuracy?) I'm happy to stay here as long as we need to to get a handle on this fluid. They say it might come off quickly (like this) at first but will likely slow down and hit a wall at some point because it's taken a long time to accumulate all the fluid, so it will still take awhile to get it off. They can't get it off too quickly because it could drop her blood pressure, increase her heart rate, and cause dehydration and then flutter. We keep hearing "a fine line" in nearly every conversation we have with a medical person.

I'm so grateful for this place.

Good night, everyone! I think I'll sleep well tonight.

Angie

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie and Bailey: Such WONDERFUL news. Keep up the great work. It's amazing when you think about all the years of education and training of all those people focused on pee, but it's Bailey! And she deserves and gets the best at Riley. I hope you both slept well. I will see you soon.
Love, Diane
ps-work news, Jill is back. She asked about you two first thing this morning. She is so strong, just like you.

7:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie & Bailey-
OOOhhh the "Power of Prayer",
we will grab this one and claim it!!! We love you guys and hope this is the "happy road", you need
it. Although, we will continue to
pray for you. What great news!!!

Peace & Blessings-

Dee,Mark & Kiddies

8:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The hallways of Riley aren't the only hallways that will be filled with shouts of urination! Amid the early morning quiet on the second floor of the geology building at IU I couldn't help but let out a loud "Yes!" when I read the blog this morning. It gives a new meaning to the phrase "You go, Girl!"

You really do have so many people praying for you. I know many of our church family are diligent in praying for you and in checking your update every morning. We give God thanks, praise, and glory for all He has done and all He is going to do!

Have another great day!
Love you, Bailey!!!!

Aunt Cindy and Uncle Tim

8:28 AM  
Blogger carmelapples said...

Hey Girls,

You know what's funny? I've been praying so much for you, Bailey, to pee that I can't go to the bathroom without thinking of you!! Now isn't THAT special!! "God thank you for my pee...please help Bailey to go too!" (and you worried about offending people by saying the word "pee") Now they've got bigger things to think about! ha ha

What wonderful news today. Thank you for sharing such detail, because it helps so much to know the next thing to pray for... I'm just so thankful to God that you guys can be such a refreshing witness for all those who are working with you. Your peace, your joy, your love in the midst of potentially very challenging moments. I'm so proud of you guys.

Know that you are loved and that you are thought of all day long (and half the night). I love you...both!

Love, Aunt Deb xoxo

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi my girls! Well, it's happened again.....the Happy Dance snuck up on me and took over my body....I couldn't help myself....I leaped up onto my desk, started dancing and shouting Bailey's name. It was totally embarassing, I looked like an idiot, but you know what, I certainly didn't care because our girl is letting it fly! Go get em Bailey girl! We are all rooting for you.

I hope today is just as good for you both.

I love you to pieces...Mary Ann

9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie, Peeing is a wonderful thing isn't it! Just remember back to when Bailey pee peed in the potty for the first time. I wish you both all the best. Bailey, get to feeling better soon! My prayers are with you both.

Love, Linda Jones

9:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Morning Ladies:

I'm so happy Bailey is peeing! It's the little things in life that make us laugh, right? Have a great day at the hospital and take a nap since you have to get up so early for the dye test. Hope you get to go home soon, but not until the doctor's think it's ok!

Love ya,

Lara

10:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE.

KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.

I'VE ALWAYS KNOWN YOU WERE TALENTED!!!!!!!

Love & Stuff, CAROL

12:28 PM  
Blogger Grandma Carol said...

Hi, Bailey & Angie! Wow!!!!! What a "wonderful" report!! Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PaPa and I are so thrilled!! Bailey, you are one tough cookie and we are so proud of you!!! I pray each day will get better and better and that you will get to go home soon! And, Angie, the "p" word is just fine!! I felt like running up and down the hall shouting it

12:33 PM  
Blogger Grandma Carol said...

I almost forgot -- I stopped by to see PaPa on my way to work this morning and he was more like his "ornery" self! Never thought I'd be happy about that! Ha! Have a "wonderful day!"

12:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angeie and Bailey-
That was GREAT news!!! It's great to hear Bailey's making progress. The syringe-water fight cracks me up!!! Keep up the good work!!!

~Emily~

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to here things are starting to look brighter.... I along with everyone else I'm sure hopes that the fluid comes off & she can get back to her life quickly...

9:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home