Tuesday, June 28, 2005

5 Months

We've been here 5 months now. Wow! I never thought we'd be here this long. I remember back in January wondering if we would be here long enough to celebrate our birthdays in here (April). I didn't even go beyond that. Funny how there are some things in life that you absolutely have no control over. In this case, that's a comfort to me. Back on pre-op day when we were admitted unexpectedly, I remember feeling a huge relief that we weren't going back home - that Bailey was in the best possible place she could be and was going to be taken care of by the best medical team. The thought of going home scared me. And the thought of going home since then has scared me. Of course, once she gets to go home I imagine I'll be fine, but there's no other place I'd rather be, with Bailey in this condition, than here at Riley.

Bailey had a dental appointment here today. Last night she was eating and one of her wires sliced her lip. It bled like crazy but, unlike her nosebleeds, didn't bleed for long. The Riley dentist came over here last time (about a month ago) but this time we had to go to them. It was eventful. This little 2-year old boy ran up to the Berlin Heart and reached out his hand to grab one of the lines. I couldn't get to him fast enough, so I just said (in a slightly panicked voice), "Bailey, Bailey, Bailey!" She turned around just in time to shove him away. We were so scared at the time, but later we laughed about Bailey pushing a little boy. Luckily, she didn't shove him to the ground! Then another little girl pushed a large plastic truck across the waiting area and across the hall right toward the VAD and Bailey stopped that one with her foot. (The girl wasn't close enough to be shoved though. Haha!) Luckily they called our name very soon thereafter, because we were about to leave, we were so nervous. But they took care of us and we made it back to the room.

I scoped out the parking garage and found an outlet next to the elevator. I'm not sure if the cord is long enough to reach, but one of our doctors is checking out other options too. It looks like we should be able to see fireworks on Monday.

I got to see Josie's and Marissa's softball games tonight. The did such a good job! Marissa got weirded out and didn't bat the first inning because she didn't like to bat last. (Something about it being more fun to stop at all of the bases as opposed to running around them all without stopping, which is what the last person batting would do.) But she rallied and batted great the other innings. Josie's team won 20-something to zero. I got some good pictures - I'll post them this weekend.

Dr. T turned Bailey's VAD rate down to 70 today. We'll see what happens!

Bailey's been wearing her U.S. Gymnastics Team warm-ups today. They fit great! Thanks again, Kara!

Hope you all got some rain today - we got a nice little storm. Have a great day!

Love, Angie

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Bailey! I attended the Heart Walk kickoff this morning and was touched by your story. My husband, Carl was diagnosed with a heart condition in April of 2004. His health deteriorated quickly and in October 2004-he had a VAD placed in him. A few days later he was placed on the heart transplant list. On November 20th, we were married in Methodist Hospital and hours later we were notified that Carl was getting a heart. Thanks to God we only waited 28 days.

Bailey, I know that this is hard for you but you will get a heart. God is waiting for the right one to come along. I know how difficult it was for me waiting so I can't imagine what it is like for you. Carl and I will be praying for you. You have touched my heart and millions of others.

Stay strong...keep the faith.
Love,
Bobbi & Carl Drury (Plainfield IN)

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey girls! I cat stop laughing about you pushing that little boy, i dont know why, it just sounds funny!..haha wow..well i will chat with you later!
love you lotz,
lindsay

10:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Angie and Bailey:

Feel free to drop us a line. We would love to hear from you. I was telling my brother who is stationed in IRAQ about you and it touched him as well. Several of the troops in IRAQ would like to send something to you. Would that be okay with you?

Bobbi Drury (bobbi.drury@brightpoint.com)
(carl.drury@rexnord.com)

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello guys!

Guess what? The blood donation center rejected us! I got a new tatoo in Feb., told the truth about it and got rejected. I could have lied and no one would have been the wiser....see what honesty gets me, 4 hours on the road just to eat at The Cheesecake Factory. They rejected my other friend who was going to come on Friday because of her recent miscarriage. They only ordered 2 units so Josh's cousin is going to do them both. See you next week!

Lynn

9:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home