Monday, March 14, 2005

Ready for Another Week

Another good weekend! Bailey had a good weekend with her dad and Nancy, and I enjoyed my stay at home with the rest of my family. Tom's planning a surprise for Bailey when she comes home, so I helped work on that a little. Also did some laundry. Tom's doing a great job at home taking care of the house and the girls and never complains about anything. I really am proud of him taking on an additional role in our family and doing a wonderful job! I love you, Sweetie!!

Bailey wanted me to bring her guitar in from home, so I brought that back with me and also threw in my mandolin - haven't played it in forever, but now's a good time to pick it up again. Maybe Bailey and I can learn a little bluegrass together. Yee-haw!!

Another transplant patient is going to come visit us tomorrow evening - she was transplanted as a teen and now coaches gymnastics at Purdue. She wasn't born with a heart defect but somehow was attacked by a virus which pretty much ruined her heart. So, I hear she went through quite a shock and depression after her transplant, but I really don't expect Bailey to go through anything like that since she's lived with her heart defect her entire life. Some of the major changes we'll be living with after transplant is eating a heart-healthy diet (which will be good for all of us) of low sodium, low cholesterol, low fat, etc. So, I won't be opening nearly as many cans and we won't be eating at nearly as many fast food places. I stopped in Borders today to pick up 3 heart-healthy cookbooks. Can you believe I even found The Healthy Heart Cookbook for Dummies?! Right up my alley. (And, Jim and Susie, it was so good to run into you guys! I miss you all and everyone at church - can't wait to get back!) She'll also be taking medication to decrease her immune system to help alleviate rejection of her new heart, which also means she'll get sick easier. So, we'll be going through hand sanitizer like crazy, and using other precautions to guard against illness. In essence, they've made it very clear that a heart trasplant is not a cure - it's a treatment. I'm beginning to understand that. I'm glad Bailey is anxious to meet this girl from Purdue - I think it will be good for her to get a girl's perspective. And a gymnast even - for those of you who don't know, Bailey was an excellent gymnast before she quit last April due to her heart problems. She was doing a back handspring on the beam, and a back tuck on the floor. We're hoping she'll be able to pick it back up again.

But we're not on that low-sodium diet yet! She requested I pick up pickles and buttered popcorn over the weekend and, of course, I delivered!

Well, I just found out she didn't get her math homework done over the weekend, so I've gotta go. I need crack the whip!

Have a good evening, everyone!
Love to all, Angie

7 Comments:

Blogger Sue Figert Meyer said...

Angie,
A Husband who doesn't complain? You are truly a blessed woman!! Go Tom!! Sue

10:28 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

Hi guys! Angie - I'm glad you had a good weekend at home with Tom and your other 2 little girls!

You know, after Matthew came home from his last hospital stay and got better, we also changed the way we eat (mostly). No more fast food, no prepared foods, no junk. It's not so bad - after a while you'll get used to it and you won't even want the "nasty" stuff anymore. Of course I sometimes crave my Hostess Cupcakes, but it eventually goes away!

It's wonderful that Bailey has other kids to talk to about the transplant process. She will see she's not alone.

Allan and I finally got the last of the styrofoam popcorn picked up yesterday! I'm still scouting the area for dumpsters - Allan said I should write a guide book about where to find the best dumpsters in Indiana! But her apartment is slowly shaping up!

So, you two have a good week and I'll await the next installment of "Bailey's Update"!!!!

Love,
Annette :)

10:39 PM  
Blogger Diane Roe said...

Good morning, Angie and Bailey: It's another Monday morning at R & L, with your empty office next door. We miss you, but we know your work there is more important as you wait for God and his doctors to provide Bailey's transplant.
Tom may just be lining himself up as husband/father of the year. Wow! That is so great. Josie and Marissa are being just as brave as Bailey. We're sure the girls and Tom miss you even more than we do here at work!
I hope to come by and see you both early this week. Last time, your room was like Grand Central Station, so much going on! It was interesting to see Dr T in person. Have a great day
Diane

8:01 AM  
Blogger Aunt Debbie A said...

Good Morning Girls!

I'm so glad you had another good weekend. Melyn is finally over the flu. There is so much yuck flying around school these days! It's been a rough winter for school nurses!! : )

Ang-you can get a great deal on Extra Virgin Olive Oil at Cosco's! : ) That's another staple you'll probably be needing! I think you'll actually enjoy cooking lean. Fresh vegetables, fresh ingredients...it definitely takes a little more time, but I think you'll enjoy it once you're used to it. There are some great slow cooker recipes that are heart healthy, too. You could have your own cooking show on the food channel! Remember when we'd have "cooking shows" as kids? Oh brother! : )

I think that's great that you and Bailey are playing your instruments together! You two just might be the next Naomi and Wynona!! Hey, maybe I'll bring my banjo this week! We'll have a regular Ho-Down!
I guess being "thrown out" of the hospital is one way you could get out...somehow I think we'd better stick to the original plan!! I love you guys. I'll try to call you later today.
AND TOM...YOU ARE AN AWESOME GUY, DUDE!!
ANGIE IS BLESSED!!

9:33 AM  
Blogger Rev. Evans said...

Hi Bailey and Angie,
Glad you had a great weekend. We miss you all at church. I hope to see you on Firday. Have a good week.
Rev. David

9:37 AM  
Blogger Jeff, Cindy, Joy, Jeremy& Patti Miller said...

Hi guys, Glad to hear you had a good weekend. I would love to hear your bluegrass!!!! Its great to be able to talk to other people who have been able to move on in life after their transplant. I talked to a woman just today that had a transplant two weeks ago and you would never have known!! Think of you VERY VERY often and am praying for you. Love Cindy Miller

1:09 PM  
Blogger Aunt Vickie said...

Finally - I've been trying to post a comment since last week. I was beginning to think my computer was never going to let me.

Hey girlies, there better not be no Ho-down (how did you spell that?)without me! I'm game. I think that would be fun. Angie has to get her fingers toughened up first. Get on it Ang! I'm ready!

It was great to see you today. You both look great.

Hey Bailey - you'd better make some more of those mice. I'm taking orders. Not really, but people are saying they want one. Don't you think you could make a little pig out of pink ones?

Gotta go, love you lots!!

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home