Monday, March 14, 2005

Ready for Another Week

Another good weekend! Bailey had a good weekend with her dad and Nancy, and I enjoyed my stay at home with the rest of my family. Tom's planning a surprise for Bailey when she comes home, so I helped work on that a little. Also did some laundry. Tom's doing a great job at home taking care of the house and the girls and never complains about anything. I really am proud of him taking on an additional role in our family and doing a wonderful job! I love you, Sweetie!!

Bailey wanted me to bring her guitar in from home, so I brought that back with me and also threw in my mandolin - haven't played it in forever, but now's a good time to pick it up again. Maybe Bailey and I can learn a little bluegrass together. Yee-haw!!

Another transplant patient is going to come visit us tomorrow evening - she was transplanted as a teen and now coaches gymnastics at Purdue. She wasn't born with a heart defect but somehow was attacked by a virus which pretty much ruined her heart. So, I hear she went through quite a shock and depression after her transplant, but I really don't expect Bailey to go through anything like that since she's lived with her heart defect her entire life. Some of the major changes we'll be living with after transplant is eating a heart-healthy diet (which will be good for all of us) of low sodium, low cholesterol, low fat, etc. So, I won't be opening nearly as many cans and we won't be eating at nearly as many fast food places. I stopped in Borders today to pick up 3 heart-healthy cookbooks. Can you believe I even found The Healthy Heart Cookbook for Dummies?! Right up my alley. (And, Jim and Susie, it was so good to run into you guys! I miss you all and everyone at church - can't wait to get back!) She'll also be taking medication to decrease her immune system to help alleviate rejection of her new heart, which also means she'll get sick easier. So, we'll be going through hand sanitizer like crazy, and using other precautions to guard against illness. In essence, they've made it very clear that a heart trasplant is not a cure - it's a treatment. I'm beginning to understand that. I'm glad Bailey is anxious to meet this girl from Purdue - I think it will be good for her to get a girl's perspective. And a gymnast even - for those of you who don't know, Bailey was an excellent gymnast before she quit last April due to her heart problems. She was doing a back handspring on the beam, and a back tuck on the floor. We're hoping she'll be able to pick it back up again.

But we're not on that low-sodium diet yet! She requested I pick up pickles and buttered popcorn over the weekend and, of course, I delivered!

Well, I just found out she didn't get her math homework done over the weekend, so I've gotta go. I need crack the whip!

Have a good evening, everyone!
Love to all, Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home