Monday, March 07, 2005

A Good Weekend

Bailey had a good weekend. She had a nurse last night though that she's never had before and I guess it didn't go too well. I hear she woke Bailey up throughout the night and did her dressing change at 12:30 in the morning (it's supposed to be done at 9:00 at night) and she was too rough and caused Bailey unnecessary pain! Then, there's this new rounding doctor that comes in the morning at 7:30 and wakes her up just to listen to her heart. I guess Bailey just had enough because when I returned from my weekend at home, I was met at the door with an explanation of new plans. There's a sign on her door now that says "Please don't wake me up for morning checks - I need my beauty sleep" (a result of one of Bailey's favorite nurses coming to her rescue); I am now going to be taught how to do her dressing change (also encouraged by Dr. T) so she doesn't have to risk another "rough" change (here's my chance to be the nurse I always thought I wanted to be); and we are encouraged to speak up if Bailey wants another nurse (although we've not had any problem with the nurses at all until last night). I had a long talk with the charge nurse tonight - I think they were worried we were having a bad experience here. I fessed up about how I was worried to leave ICU and come to the Heart Center because I thought we might not get the same quality care, but we quickly realized that was't true - these nurses up here have taken incredibly good care of Bailey (and us) and any doubt I ever had has gone quickly by the wayside. I think we're all good now.

So, after that "dust settled", I got settled back into my second home here at the hospital. I quickly notice that Scott rearranged things this weekend because I couldn't find stuff I was looking for. I was lost! He must have known what I was thinking because he called and explained why he had to move things around. Although I miss Bailey dearly on the weekends, I am beginning to relax more and more at home. I was still sleeping at 9:30 this morning (!!) when I was woken up by the sweetest little voice: "Mommy, do you want to play Hungry Hungry Hippo with me?" (Thanks, Diane! Haha!!) Of course, I wanted nothing more than to play Hungry Hungry Hippo with little Riss. She beat me every single time - and I was trying!

Tom and I were supposed to have a date night last night to celebrate his belated birthday, but he let me take a nap and I slept for 2 1/2 hours - right into our date night. But we had a good time watching a Black Jack tournament on TV and eating ham sandwiches. Not the date night I had envisioned, but very nice nonetheless.

Hope all is well with everyone! And, Tom Hayden, it's good to hear from you!! Climbed any trees lately? Haha!

Love, Angie


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home