Friday, February 11, 2005

We Take Our First Walk!

Today started out pretty slow - Bailey only slept from 6:00-9:00 a.m. this morning. She was awake all night long. She wasn't fidgety - just couldn't sleep. I guess maybe the anesthesia from the operating room procedure was playing tricks? Anyway, her nurse kept telling her we were getting up today and walking around ICU. Things progressed, and by the time it came to walk, it was a shopping spree to the gift shop! Bailey played along with the fun, but when the time got closer, it must have intimidated her a little because she got real weepy and tired (of course, 3 hours of sleep in the last 48 hours probably didn't help). So, the nurse rounded up a respiratory therapist to be in charge of the oxygen tank (oh, yeah, they weened her off the nitric oxide today without a hitch!), another nurse to be in charge of the IV pole, another nurse to push the Berlin Heart computer (a pretty big box on a cart), me to tag along behind with a wheelchair for relief when she got tired, and her nurse held all the lines/leads/tubes, etc. I tell ya, I was nervous! They unplugged the Berlin Heart from the wall and a little alarm sounded, and I nearly wet myself! But the nurse said it was just the alarm indicating that battery power was taking over. OK - so now I'm a little sweaty, but doing ok. Then the surgeon comes by (he's the one who's been pushing for getting up and around) and he's looking over things like he's a little concerned we're doing this, and I'm nearly relieved because I'm half-way wanting him to put a stop to everything and make her get back in bed! But he said, "You go girl! Have a nice walk!" I'm glad they didn't have a heart monitor hooked up to me, because I'm sure there were all sorts of PVC's, PAC's, ABC's and XYZ's going on!! Half-way down the looooonnnnnng hallway to the elevators, Bailey stopped and said in her sweet quiet little voice "My eyes are a little blurry." The nurse stops to check her Berlin Heart, and Bailey said, "I don't have my glasses on." The nurse was quite relieved that was all it was. Then, about 10 steps later, Bailey says in her sweet quiet little voice, "I can't see now." The nurse stops and repeats - trying to calm herself - "You can't see now?!" Bailey says, "No, because she's in my way," pointing to the nurse pushing the Berlin Heart. OK. So we were all a little nervous! But had lots of fun and laughter. We walked all the way down that long hall, down the glass elevators, and she stopped in front of the McDonalds entrance and Bailey said, "I need to sit down now." We couldn't believe it! We were sooo impressed. And she really enjoyed the walk - didn't seem to tire her too much at all. One of the nurses bought her a chocolate sundae from McD's and we went by the gift shop and bought the surgeon a Dt. Coke to take back. We found our way back to the room, and the surgeon couldn't believe she had walked that far. He really was impressed. I said, "Aren't you proud?" And he said, "Proud? That's incredible!" He was in her room earlier in the afternoon and said he needed a date for tonight's Pacer's game. He was looking at the Berlin Heart machine and said, "but I'm not quite sure how we could get that there." I really think he was half seriously considering it - if not tonight, maybe down the road.

As you can see, we had a wonderful day! She was so proud of herself too. Once again, what a huge relief to see progress. She's such an incredible little girl - she complains about very little and is really enjoying socializing with the doctors and nurses.

Tom is picking me up tonight to spend the weekend at home. Scott's staying here with Bailey this weekend and I'll return Sunday evening. I probably won't post anything else until Sunday or Monday, so don't worry - no news is good news!

Love you all and have a great weekend!!
Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home