Wednesday, February 09, 2005

Wed. - 02-09-05

Bailey's been struggling with a little fever all day and a nosebleed that's lasted pretty much all day. It's really dry in this hospital and the blood thinners are making it difficult to stop. We're trying to get her up and about to try and clear her lungs, but that's difficult to do when she doesn't feel very good. We did get her up and standing on a scale to weigh her and then she sat in a chair for a while. The doctors said she lost 1/3 of her body weight in the couple days after surgery -- that's how much fluid she had on her body before. Boy, she's slim and trim now! We're trying to pack some meat on her bones - have instructions to drink lots of OJ for vitamin C, lots of high-calorie drinks (like Boost) to gain weight, but all the while we have a limit on how much she can drink. Makes it kind of challenging, but we're getting it done.

Myra, yes, please take K.U. for us - we don't get CMT here. Thanks so much!!

Debbie, the sandwiches and radishes were wonderful - can I have some more? (I only got 1 sandwich!)

The surgeon is planning to remove Bailey's chest tubes (drainage), the PA wire to her heart, and the arterial line they put in her groin (not working too well for drawing blood - she bends her leg and it cuts off the flow). Because she is at greater risk of bleeding and other complications, they're taking her to the operating room for this where they can have anesthesia and other things readily available if need be - but prayerfully everything will go smoothly. Then, I think it might be a few more days and we might be going to a room in the heart center. That will be nice! They are letting me sleep in her room in ICU (though I am right under a vent and freeze myself to pieces every night!), which is VERY nice since she wakes up quite a bit at night and needs help moving pillows and blankets around. But the rooms in the heart center have their own bathrooms with showers and are much homier. Although, I have to say it is very comforting being taken care of by such specialized nurses and being right down the hall from the surgery team - but, then again, they still won't be very far away. And I have a feeling the surgeons will be checking on us quite often.

Please pray that tomorrow goes well (I don't know what time the procedure will be), and that Bailey's fever goes away so she can continue to work on getting stronger every day. The physical therapist is quite impressed with her ability to move around - she wanted to know his name after he left, so she's probably planning to try and set another date. Geez!

I'll let you know how tomorrow goes.
Have a good evening, everyone!
Love, Angie

16 Comments:

Blogger Doug Kerr said...

Angie,

Hi Angie, I won't make this too long,basically because I'm a crummy typist,just wanted to let you know that Bailey and you have been in our thoughts since I talked to Debbie last week.Hope to see you soon.

8:41 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

Bailey & Angie: Just read the update and am feeling your struggle at the moment. Praying for you both and will check in tomorrow. Hope you both have a good nights rest. Ang, I have a extra blanket if you want for me to bring it to you (it is new too). God Bless

9:23 PM  
Blogger Annette said...

Angie - I'll pray that all goes well tomorrow. Bailey is certainly in good hands! And you're such a special Mom!!!! Bailey's certainly lucky to have you! Try to rest as best you can - and hopefully you'll go to the heart center soon. I'm thinking of you both!!!!!

Love,
Annette

10:00 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Bailey--

This is a voice from your past--yes, your long lost friend and your Mom's ex-employee (I think that is what the situation was), Bill. I have been reading about your return to health every day and thought I would write you a message. You Mom has done an amazing job keeping all of those who are concerned about you up to date on the developments.

You and your family are truly an inspiration. And to think I sometimes complain about having to work late?!?!

Since we last spoke, I, as you know, moved to a new firm. Things are going well. And get this--my new assistant's name is Angie too. She is good at what she does, but not as good as your Mom, of course.

From what I've read, it seems you might like McDonald's. That is one of my favorites as well. When you get hungry some time down the road, let me know and I will stop by with a big pile of McD's. Get well soon!

10:13 PM  
Blogger Bill said...

Bailey--

Almost forgot--be sure to tell Josie and Marisa I said hi. Maybe they can help me with all the confusing country music references. :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Scott Needham said...

Hi Bailey and Angie!

I'm glad to hear you're up and moving around.
I thought about you a whole lot today.

Keep up the good work and know that we're all cheering for you. Likewise, you say the word and you'll have all the Mickey D's you can handle.....

Sleep well and have a great night!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Aunt Debi said...

Bails, Hey girlie, girl. I am sorry you have a little fever, but know that you will be feeling better soon. I prayed lots of special prayers for you at Ash Wednesday Mass today and I know God was listening. Looking forward to seeing you this weekend and so is Uncle John. Grammy is bringing over a buch of goodies for you tomorrow and I will bring them this weekend. Good Luck tomorrow. XOXOXOX to Scott, Nancy, Angie & Tom

P.S. Hi Marissa and Josie.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Curt & Peggy said...

Hey Bailey--I know you don't really know me, but maybe your mom can fill you in about me. I read about you, first thing every day and the last thing every night. I've been praying for you daily and know that things are a tough, but it appears things are getting better. Small steps lead to big steps. Take care and I'm sure you will hear from me again.

Love and Prayers from S.C.
Curt/Peggy

1:06 AM  
Blogger The Norris Family said...

Hi Bailey! Thinking alot about you- Taylor has created a box of fun stuff for you. We will get it to you as soon as you are out of ICU. Our prayers are with you today for a strong and healthy body.

We also have a box of goodies for Marissa and Josie to keep them busy when visiting. See you soon!

The Norris Family

7:45 AM  
Blogger Grandma Carol said...

Hi, Bailey & Angie! I'm so sorry you have been feeling punky! Papa and I have been saying lots of prayers for you and your mommy, so I know things will get better real soon! Also believing that everything will go smoothly today and that you will be feeling much better by the time we get the next update! You will need lots of energy to keep all the dates you have been making! Ha! I'll be sending some goodies real soon for you and mommy! You take good care of her, okay! She's a pretty special mom! Love you both!

8:53 AM  
Blogger Bob Badger said...

Jean and I be praying all goes well with the procedure and that Bailey will get some meat on her. I left the firm in the good hands of Rick Darragh, my replacement, on Monday. We shall continue to follow Bailey's progress on this site.

With God's love,

Bob and Jean

9:12 AM  
Blogger Karrie Howard said...

Bailey, my name is Karrie Howard, and my son went to school with you last year his name is Simon Howard, and my husband works for your Dad. We have been keeping up on your progress and we are pulling for you. Simon said the Teachers at Kitley are praying for your quick recovery. And I work at Indiana Organ Procurement and I have shared your story with everyone here, so we are all following you and keeping you and your family in our thoughts. It sounds like things are progressing in your favor and that is a relief. Keep up the good work (I know it must be hard) but you must be a tuff cookie. Hang in there.

9:51 AM  
Blogger Nancy DeCamp said...

Hey Bailey & Hey Angie,
Thanks so much for the updates. You are in our thoughts and prayers daily. The girls and Mike ask me every morning and every evening, "how is Bailey doing today?". I could almost set a clock by them! I am missing you guys big time. I hope to see you soon!
Love, Nancy

10:46 AM  
Blogger Aunt Vickie said...

Hey guys - I'm hoping and praying that all goes well today. I haven't been coming to visit because I don't want to take Mom away from Bailey and I can't come in there, so I'm hoping you get a room real soon so I can see you again!!!! If either of you need me or need anything, please buzz. You know where I am and I'll be there in 10 minutes (OK, well maybe not if I'm at home, but you know what I mean). I can't begin to tell you how much we all depend on this blog page. I know every one of us that reads it has to check every morning and every night to make sure there's nothing we've missed - we're hooked. We are sooo grateful for it. Hany in there, you're doing great - both of you. Love you much, Aunt Vickie.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Aunt Debbie A said...

Hey my girls! Of course I'll bring you some more raddishes and sandwiches...sorry you only got one! Did you find the canteloupe and strawberries before they were gone? What about the mesquite bbq Ruffles?

Hopefully the nose bleed will stop SOON!! I really, really hope you get a regular room asap. The girls are so anxious to see you. I keep telling them they can't come until you are out of ICU. I've had the flu this week. Yuck! But am feeling much better and I've not had a fever for 24 hours, so I'm hoping to come see you again maybe Saturday morning...just to be safe.

I love you both with all my heart! I'll make more sandwiches and bring them along this weekend.

Love, Deb xoxoxoxo xoxoxoxo

2:52 PM  
Blogger Nancy DeCamp said...

Hey Bailey - I thought of something. When we used to try to give Grandma Marge some high calorie drinks, we used to add some ICE CREAM to the boost to make it a little milk shake! Chocolate was her favorite. What do you think of that idea?!?!!!
Take care,
Nancy

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home