Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Well, What Can I Say?

I stand in awe of God's miracles once again. And I stand in awe of Bailey's strength and courage once again.

We are back on the Heart Center and feeling great! Bailey got rid of 2 more lines today -- her foley cath (and yes, Claire, she can wear underpants again! Ha! She would be totally embarrassed if she knew I just wrote that, so don't anyone out there tell her, OK?) and her central line. The cental line was an experience. It was basically a heavy-duty I.V. that they stuck in her neck during surgery. It was stitched in, but all the lines attached to it made it so heavy that it was pulling on her neck skin. It just looked completely uncomfortable, although she never complained about it. She just asked that whenever they were hooking anything up to it that they be careful and not pull on it. Well, duh. Anyway, Dr. T came in with his nurse practitioner and said, "I have to go over to Methodist, so let's get this line out." There were about 6 of us gathered around her bed holding her hand and performing various other "duties" as the nurse practitioner snipped the stitches and then took out the line. I wasn't expecting what came next. She held a big patch of gauze over the area, but it started turning red . . . and redder . . . and redder . . . I saw the look in the N.P.'s eyes and tried not to get excited because I was the one holding Bailey's hand to calm her down. But when I saw the blood pooling at the edge of the gauze getting ready to run down the front of her chest, I said, "It's gonna . . ." and that's all I got out before it ran down her chest. Bailey could feel the warm liquid and I grabbed her gown and started blotting as quickly as I could so she wouldn't see any of it. Dr. T leaned over to look at it and said, in the calmest voice ever, "Ok." Then he turned around to wash his hands and get some gloves on and came over with a clean patch of gauze and took over. He removed the already soaked gauze and tossed them in a plastic dish on the bed and Bailey perked up and said, "What's that?" I said, "Just don't look, Bailey." She said, "I wanna see." So she looked and I was completely and totally impressed at her ability to hold it together. I don't think she would have been nearly at ease if Dr. T wasn't around. He's just incredible. So, he got it to stop bleeding, put some little strips on it to hold it together, dressed it, and then our nurse Anne and I and Scott started cleaning everything up. We even had to wash her hair - it was soaked too. Anne was sneaky and threw a bunch of sheets on top of Bailey's bed behind her so she wouldn't see that. We ended up having to throw away her pillow from home because that's the one she was laying on and it got soaked too. I just thank God that I can handle the sight of blood. Bailey's comment later was, "Well, I wanna be a nurse so I have to get used to it." Her strength amazes me.

She hasn't had any problems with her BP all day. She even felt so good that she called her best friend, Paisley, today. She hasn't been wanting to talk on the phone to anyone in weeks. It's just been one joyous day. It's so good to be back on the heart center, although, I have to make it perfectly clear to everyone out there that our nurses in ICU were wonderful. Stacia, Waenita, Anne, Sheila, Erica . . . I'm sure I forgot someone else, but they all took very good care of us. If you have to be in ICU, Riley's the place to be.

Tom and the girls are here tonight. Bailey's having a great time visiting with her sisters. She hasn't felt like doing that in weeks, either, so it feels like old times. Everyone's commenting on how it's so nice to see the old Bailey again. That's so true.

We're not out of here yet, and Dr. D reminded us today that things "still aren't perfect", but today was a good day.

Good night!

Angie

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thrilled to read about your wonderful day. What milestones you have passed in such a short time period. Wow. I am so glad you are back in the heart center already. Unbelieveable. Angie, I keep thinking about the Dierks Bentley song that we said would be our theme song one day "Free and Easy Down the Road I Go." It looks like you and Bailey are on your way. I couldn't be happier. I love you both! Tami

Bailey, your Aunt Vickie and I need girls to go with us to see the movie Enchanted (starring your friend Patrick) so hurry and get out of there!!

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great day! I'm so happy for you. Uncle Jim called me to make sure I received the text message from Tom about how well things were going today. I could almost hear the excitement in Tom's text message. It's going to be a great Thanksgiving for sure!!! Sleep well girls.

Love Aunt Robin (and Uncle Jim, Erica, Emily and Lyndie)

10:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just incredible; but what did we expect from our Awesome God! I just couldn't be happier for you guys. Still continuing to pray for complete healing. My faith is soaring!

10:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, my ooohhh my!!!!!!!!!
What a blessing... God is so wonderful. This is a true testament
to relying on God and waiting in his time. Wow, Bailey you are incredible. Keep you head up and
know that continued prayers are with all of you.
Peace- Dee

7:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm speechless. It is so amazing what Riley Hospital and their team of doctors and nurses can do. We are all truly blessed to have this amazing hospital and staff right here in Indy. We continue to pray every day for your speedy recovery.

Love to all.
Donna

8:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great news! Tell Bailey the guys at IMSP are thinking about her. Have a great Thanksgiving...

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great News! Again!! I'm so happy Bailey is doing so well - keep up the good work! I have to say, I was cringing reading about the blood - you all did a wonderful job holding it together so Bailey wouldn't freak out! Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Love 'ya

Lara

10:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bailey seems like I have met you before, because of your Dad. You are an incredible little girl who I have been praying for a long time. Hope I get to meet you someday. Have a great recovery from your latest surgery. I got to go cut some hair. May God be with you always.
Eva Yackey

11:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have spoiled us with mid-day updates! lol Can't wait for another great one tonight, at this rate you'll be home before you know it!

4:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like the old Bailey is on her way to an amazing recovery.
I am so glad to read each wonderful update. God is Good!!

Janet Shelton

6:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We certainly know what so many of us will be thanking God for tomorrow!!!!!! More than we know about..................

Love to all of you, CAROL

7:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

YAY.....thats my girl Bailey!!! Im so thankful that you are doing so well! Can't wait to see you guys tomorrow!!
Love you....Jenny

Thanks for the updates these past couple days Angie!!!!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home