Sunday, April 15, 2007

Another Cardioversion

Bailey called me at work when she got home from school Friday, like she normally does, but this time she didn't sound as perky as she normally is. She right away said, "I've been dizzy and short of breath all day, Mom. I feel like I'm gonna pass out." I had her take her blood pressure and it was pretty low - 70's/40's - and her heart rate was a little high - high 90's. Her pacemaker is set at 80 beats per minute. I actually opened my mouth to ask her if her heart was in rhythm, but I didn't because I knew she would have told me since she's been able to tell right away recently. Also, she hasn't felt dizzy and out of breath with an irregular heartbeat. So, we called the doctors and went in to have Dr. D tell us she was out of rhythm. Bummer! We didn't expect that. Bailey said, "What?! But I didn't do anything!" Dr. D said, "Exactly! You didn't do anything. It's not your fault that your heart falls out of rhythm." So, they admitted her overnight on a heprin drip (to thin her blood to avoid blood clots since the irregular heartbeat causes irregular blood flow) and they cardioverted her yesterday (Saturday) afternoon. Everything went well, and we were home by 7:00pm.

I still get nervous. We've done this cardioversion routine now 5 or 6 times. I expect it to get emotionally easier each time, but that hasn't happened yet. It hasn't gotten easier at all. I tell myself we've been through this several times, now EXACTLY what to expect, but . . . the future is so uncertain. Anything can happen at any time with any of us. That seems kind of negative, but I don't mean it like that, really. All that causes me to do is to heavily rely on God and know that, no matter what happens, we're taken care of. Life can be a pretty wild ride sometimes. I think the best place we can be with our faith is to know we have no control and God is fully in control, but I also think that place also leads to knowing how unstable like can be. And that can bring on a certain amount of fear. Then I find that fear causes me to rely completely on God . . . and the circle continues. Ha!

But everything's good. The sun in shining - even though it's very cold and my spring plants aren't doing the best. It was snowing yesterday when we were in the hospital. I'm ready for some warm spring days.

Have a great rest of the weekend, everybody!

Talk to you soon.
Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home