Monday, January 31, 2005

Surgery Went Well

The surgeons are very happy with the surgery. They were able to remove a thin layer of scar tissue from the inside of her left ventricle. It was not thick enough to make them believe that it will help her pulmonary pressure come down, but nonetheless it was a success and now we just need to wait and see how her heart responds. The Berlin Heart is working "beautifully" and Bailey tolerated the whole procedure "very well". The surgeons reiterated that Bailey is "one of a kind". That's for sure! They left her sternum open (stretched her skin over the opening) to alleviate any restriction the ribs would put on her heart, and they will keep her sedated and on the ventilator until they close that, which should be in the next day or 2 - a much easier surgery than today. Then they will begin waking her up.

All I want to do is give her a great big hug, and I can't do that with everything attached. I thought I would be a pro at this, but I lost it when we went back to ICU to see her. She is also in isolation because of her open sternum - they are being very careful of germs and we have to put on gloves and a mask to enter her room. The Berlin Heart is just a little rectangular box sitting on her stomach with some tubes leading into her chest. It's amazing to simply think about that little box assisting her heart. It's very overwhelming right now.

Only time will tell if her heart will thrive from the removal of the scar tissue or if this is a bridge to a transplant. The doctors have done their work - now we're going to sit back and watch God do His.

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers -- they have been truly a comfort to all of us and Bailey will really enjoy hearing from you all in the comments. I'm very tired and need to go now. I feel like I've rambled here, but I wanted to update all of you. Today was tough, tomorrow will be better, and the next day even better.

Talk to you all soon!
Angie

1 Comments:

Blogger Alison Stanley said...

Bailey,Angie, and family,
You have a Powerhouse Pray Team lifting you all up. MaryAnn Lucas has kept me informed and our women's study is praying for you and I know my church has also received prayer requests. God is good and merciful!!!
Angie, I can't imagine how hard this is for you but know that Bailey is wrapped tight in her Heavenly Father's arms and He will protect her and watch over YOU too! Hang in there. Your faith is inspiring! Luv, Alison

8:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home