Monday, January 31, 2005

Surgery Day

Good morning everyone! Bailey is in surgery. Everything went well this morning - she had a really good attitude, although still a little nervous. Last night she told me, "You know, Mom, this is a win-win situation -- if I don't need the VAD [Berlin Heart], that's good. And if I do need it, I get to help out lots of other kids." She truly is an amazing person - the bravest I've ever been around (and that includes adults). A funny story . . . yesterday we were walking around the hospital and I said, "I think this would be a really neat place to work, but I don't think I could handle being around terminally-ill kids - I'd cry all day." Then later last night just before bed, Bailey went to the bathroom, came back out and said, "You know you said you wouldn't like to work here because of the really sick kids?" And she continued with all seriousness while working on a word search, "Another big one for me would be emptying the pee hat."

It will be a long day - they say it's not unusual to be early afternoon and not have even made it to the heart yet. They have to go through lots of scar tissue from her earlier two surgeries. This library that I'm sending this from is beautiful! It's the original entrance to the old hospital - beautiful stained glass, arched marble entryways, beautiful wood. This might become my periodic "escape" for the day, so I'll try to post another entry early afternoon, and then again tonight after surgery.

Thank you for all your cards, gifts, prayers, and kind thoughts. Oh, and Bailey enjoys reading the "comments" that you guys can post to this site. (I think you might have to go to the main page of blogspot.com and create a user ID and password to be able to post a comment.) I'll keep in touch. [Also, I've noticed the time on these "posts" might be off. Right now, it's 9:30 -- geez! It's only 9:30?!]

Love you, Angie.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home