Monday, January 31, 2005

Surgery Day

Good morning everyone! Bailey is in surgery. Everything went well this morning - she had a really good attitude, although still a little nervous. Last night she told me, "You know, Mom, this is a win-win situation -- if I don't need the VAD [Berlin Heart], that's good. And if I do need it, I get to help out lots of other kids." She truly is an amazing person - the bravest I've ever been around (and that includes adults). A funny story . . . yesterday we were walking around the hospital and I said, "I think this would be a really neat place to work, but I don't think I could handle being around terminally-ill kids - I'd cry all day." Then later last night just before bed, Bailey went to the bathroom, came back out and said, "You know you said you wouldn't like to work here because of the really sick kids?" And she continued with all seriousness while working on a word search, "Another big one for me would be emptying the pee hat."

It will be a long day - they say it's not unusual to be early afternoon and not have even made it to the heart yet. They have to go through lots of scar tissue from her earlier two surgeries. This library that I'm sending this from is beautiful! It's the original entrance to the old hospital - beautiful stained glass, arched marble entryways, beautiful wood. This might become my periodic "escape" for the day, so I'll try to post another entry early afternoon, and then again tonight after surgery.

Thank you for all your cards, gifts, prayers, and kind thoughts. Oh, and Bailey enjoys reading the "comments" that you guys can post to this site. (I think you might have to go to the main page of blogspot.com and create a user ID and password to be able to post a comment.) I'll keep in touch. [Also, I've noticed the time on these "posts" might be off. Right now, it's 9:30 -- geez! It's only 9:30?!]

Love you, Angie.

10 Comments:

Blogger Julie Norris said...

Bailey,

We are looking forward to your healthy recovery! Can't wait til next time your family comes over and hangs out. We have all been praying for you and will come visit as soon as yuo are up for visitors!

Love,

Greg, Julie, Taylor, Franklin, and Sydney Norris

9:55 AM  
Blogger Bill and Lynne Jarman said...

Angie and Bailey, We have been reading you postings and thinking about you both and you family alot. We are praying for the best. It sounds like everything is going well so far from your comments and that is great. Talk to you soon.
Love Lynne, Bill and the boys.

9:58 AM  
Blogger Aunt Cindy said...

Hi Bailey! I wanted so much to be there today during your surgery but I've got a cold and didn't want to spread it to you, or any one else there that might pass it along to a patient. Know that Tim and I are with you in spirit though, constantly praying for you. We have so many friends and people at our church that are praying, too, and anxiously awaiting news. God is so good to give us not only our biological families, but Christian families to love, care, and pray for us. You have lots more "family" than you even know about! Adam and Craig said to say "Hi!" See you soon! LOVE YOU VERY MUCH! On-line hugs and kisses coming your way..XOXO

10:08 AM  
Blogger Nancy DeCamp said...

Angie - Thanks for the update. You, Bailey, doctors, nurses, family etc. etc. etc. have been on my thoughts constantly over the last 48 hours. Andrea had a fun basketball game yesterday. (I use "fun" loosley.) The girls played well, but we had one parent from our team kicked out of the facility, another parent warned that she was next and a technical called on us for another parent/assistant coach. He really didn't do anything but ask a question but the referee was hyper sensitive by that point. CRAZINESS!! Oh the drama of Indiana basketball!

I figure I could still run over for lunch. Let me know when you or Bailey want company or a distraction. I do know how to tap dance. :)

We are all praying for you and are excited to see what God will be doing for you.
Love you!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Hello Bailey! I know you have no idea who I am, but I work with your dad. Just wanted to let you know how much everyone here at work is thinking about you and praying for you.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Carol Williams said...

Thanks Angie, what a wonderful place the world would be if everyone had Bailey's positive attitude. Loved her comment about the pee hats - - Love, hugs and kisses to everyone (especially to Angie, and Bailey, and Josie, and Marissa, and Scott, and Tom, and Grandmas & Grandpas, and Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, Doctors, Nurses, and Friends - we'll all together in this!)

10:57 AM  
Blogger Susan said...

Hi Bails:

Not sure if you remember me, but I work with Nanc. My son is Nick who went on the snake hunt at your Dad and Nancy's house. The other day Nanc was in my office and you called her on her cell phone. The ring she selected for you is crickets. Did you know that crickets are a sign for longevity?

Thinking of you

P.S. I am totally with you on emptying the "pea hats"!

11:28 AM  
Blogger Joyce said...

Bailey, Scott and all concerned: Enjoyed reading your comments preoperativel. Everyone is pulling for you girl.

Best wishes, Joyce

11:34 AM  
Blogger Mary Ann Lucas said...

Praying....praying....praying...all day long today! Thinking about you every minute, hoping you feel God's love and peace. Bailey....I am soooo in agreement with you on the "pee hat" thing. I've filled up my share of those in the past few years and think you are right! ha

I have to share a little story with you about your Mama. I met her when we were 14...almost your age. She and I were inseperable and I have loved being her friend for so many years. She used to do the funniest and goofiest things when we were kids (she might hurt me if I told you any), but the one thing I always remember is when we went to band camp together. Every night before we would go to sleep she would pull out her Bible and read it. Many times she would share a verse or two with me and we would talk a bit about it. Little did she know that her Faith way back then kick started my Faith. I owe her hugs and kisses don't you think?!

Anyway, you hang in there and we'll keep praying that you heal quickly and can be your old self real soon. You are loved beyond your wildest imagination!

Ang----I am planning on stopping by the hospital this afternoon. If you need anything, please don't hesitate to call me on my cell--714-1046. I love you my friend!

12:15 PM  
Blogger Julie, Dale & Jasmine said...

Thanks for the most recent update Angie. We are constantly monitoring for another update later this afternoon. All of our prayers are with Bailey and all of you right now and we just wanted to let you know we love you all. Uncle Harlan sends his love too.

Love,
Julie, Dale & Jasmine

12:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home