Wednesday, April 06, 2005

We Almost Had One

Bailey woke up this morning, took a bite of a birthday cookie and a sip of Dr. Pepper [that was just to get her medicine down - that wasn't her breakfast!], and was then instructed by the nurse that Dr. T called and said not to eat or drink anything for a while. We didn't know what that meant, but Bailey knew that when that happens, it involves anesthesia. I had two thoughts: either they're doing a cath (because they did an echo yesterday) but I didn't really know why they would be doing a cath; or they were looking at a heart. But I didn't really think this was it either since they say it usually happens at night and I didn't really want to get my hopes and anxieties up. Bailey was worried. About an hour later, Dr. T comes in and says they are looking at a heart and would know in the next couple hours if it's a good match.

Wow. Here we are. We may or may not be having surgery within the next few hours. Bailey may or may not be getting her heart today. We may or may not be going home in 3 weeks or so. A lot to think about. A lot to be anxious about. Bailey became quite upset and scared of the whole thing. She did want it to be her heart but she didn't want it either. She was scared but she was excited. We had a talk about all the mixed emotions we were both feeling. We decided that this could be it, or it could also just be the first of several days like this. Either way, it's going to happen when God says it's going to happen. God's timing is perfect.

Then our friends from the documentary show up (without cameras - but I'm sure they had them with them somewhere) because Dr. T called them to be prepared. It was good to see them. They're such nice guys. Oh, and Brian opened his cell phone and showed me Patrick Dempsey's phone number - "He's a buddy of mine," he says. I asked if it was true he's narrating Bailey's documentary, and he said yes. I also asked if we get to meet him, and he said "absolutely". Sorry, girls, I don't have a photographic memory and didn't get his phone number! Haha!!

About 2:00, Bailey's nurse, Sandy, came in and said she could go ahead and eat. So, that was it. I guess it turns out it wasn't the perfect match. I felt, for a split second, like falling to my knees and just crying, but Bailey instantly bugged her eyes out and said, "Will you go get me McDonalds?!" She was more relieved that she could finally eat. But now we know what it will be like when it happens. It'll be a surprise and it will be fast. It will be exciting and it will be scary. And it will happen when the time is right.

Love you all,
Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home