Sunday, December 10, 2006

We're Off to Berlin!

Wow! What a week. Seven days ago exactly, Bailey started suffering symptoms from a pretty nasty "flu bug" with 7 hours of near-constant vomiting followed by fever and diarrhea. We believe it was her vomiting that caused her heart to go out of rhythm. Through days of close supervision by Dr. Darragh and his assistant, Debbie, Bailey was cardioverted on Thursday. Everything went well, but Dr. D said he had to use more "power" than he had in the past, so she would be quite sore. She was sore, but not as badly as I had anticipated. She had a pretty large burn spot on her back, but it was nothing like a sunburn so that really didn't cause much discomfort at all. The most discomfort came when her lips and tongue broke out in blisters from the nasty virus. Too many blisters to count - they were overlapping. I felt so sorry for her. So, not really knowing for sure if we would get on the plane to Berlin, I spent the week tending to Bailey's needs and putting the trip on the back burner. So, when Friday rolled around after her cardioversion and I saw her heart was still in rhythm and she was feeling much better, I began to realize that the nauseating shaky feeling I had all over my body was panick from realizing our trip to the other side of the world was just 3 days away. I have since come to my senses and realized that I really don't need to take anything out of the ordinary - just some warm clothes, Bailey's medicine, our passports, and a few gifts for Berlin Heart. We confirmed our flight earlier today and have read over all the security guidelines - I believe all of our carry-on products are 3 ounce bottles or less. I was kind of worried about all the "Bailey's Team" pins we are taking with us (in our checked luggage, of course) since they are sharp objects - thought maybe they might find them and take them out for safety purposes - but I saw where sabers, meat clevers, and cattle prods are allowed in checked baggage, so I think we're good. I had a little moment of panick again this afternoon for some strange reason, but now I am completely relaxed. I did the grocery shopping for the rest of our family being left behind - even made them some Christmas cookies, got our Christmas cards ready for mailing, did 7 loads of laundry, and I think we're ready. Bailey now has the butterflies. It will probably pass in a little while.

I am so completely and utterly in awe at the fact that in about 30 hours we'll be meeting Klaus at the airport in Berlin - ready to begin our 3-day stay. I don't know how I'll sleep tonight. I'm so excited that I get to meet everyone and that they get to see Bailey. The only time they've seen her was when they watched the documentary. Boy! Has she changed!! I just can't wait to talk to them (hopefully in English - if not, it will be a very short . . . uh, no . . . non-existent conversation - Ha!). So exciting!!

Well, please pray for us that we don't have any international travel horror stories to tell upon our return, and please pray that Bailey (and I, for that matter) remains healthy for our trip and for many, many years to come.

Thanks to all, and we'll talk to you soon!

Angie

P.S. Did you see the article in Friday's Star (in the "Go" section) about the documentary winning the award? It was a very nice article. I'm so proud of the Speedway guys - they deserve it!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so excited about your trip and hope that you're having a wonderful and safe trip with no travel horror stories. Claire

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home