Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Continuing to Feel Much Better

I think we've been here too long -- Bailey taught me how to play Poker today (Scott taught her over the weekend) and now we're watching Orange County Chopper. I'm a little concerned . . .

Bailey's continuing to feel much better. Her left arm is still swollen and really sore from the failed attempts to put her PIC line in, but they're saying it will get better as the swelling goes down.

We had a lot of fun with occupational therapy and Child Life today (listen to me -- I'm saying "we" had fun. I guess it is Bailey's therapy!). Occupational therapy came in and brought ingredients to make treats -- butterscotch haystacks and tiger snacks. Oh my! They're delicious. I think everyone knows how to make butterscotch haystacks, so I thought I'd share the recipe for the tiger snacks:

Tiger Bites:
1 10-oz. pkg regular marshmallows (or 4 cups miniature)
1/4 c. margarine
1/3 c. peanut butter
7 1/2 c. (or 1 10-oz. box) Frosted Flakes

In a 4-quart microwavable bowl melt marshmallows and margarine on high for 3 minutes, stirring halfway through the cooking. Stir in peanut butter until smooth. Add and stir in Frosted Flakes until well coated. Using a buttered spatula scrape mixture from bowl onto waxed paper. Let cool and break into bite sized pieces.

**********

Then Child Life came in and Bailey made a mask and a little puppy out of cast material. I didn't ask where they got the cast material because I didn't want to incriminate them, but I think they stole them from the E.R.

This IVIG stuff (to lower Bailey's antibodies to lessen the rejection of a new heart) must be working really well, because we heard twice today from two different people that "hopefully we'll get things moving here pretty soon". Colin came to visit again today and we were talking about how holidays result in lots of donors due to all the traveling and, therefore, accidents on the roads. I never quite thought of it that way. Maybe that's what they mean by "getting things moving pretty soon" since Easter's coming up. That's really tough to think about. Please continue to pray for the donor's family.

An interesting comment made today by the infectious disease doctor (the sister of the guy at the Speedway responsible for putting the documentary together): I asked how the documentary was going, and she said really good but it's going to be tough to get across how difficult this whole process of the Berlin Heart is because Bailey and Dr. T have made it look so easy. I can't say I'm sorry for that! She also said that Patrick Dempsey has agreed to narrate the documentary. I'm not really sure who that is, but Bailey is pretty excited. She said he was in "Sweet Home Alabama" and the new series "Gray's Anatomy".

Lara - it was good to hear your message today! Unfortunately, our phone ringer wasn't working (Scott called 5 times today and it never rang once), but we have a new ringer now. Please try to call again!! I still miss you!

Good night, everyone. I'll talk to you tomorrow.

Angie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home